-
February 18th, 2003, 09:16 PM
#1
HB Forum Moderator
The Alphabet Song is the name of my Super-8 film that will be shown at Rutgers College on Saturday, February 22, 2003. (Assuming the weather obliges).
I have posted the letter R on my forum for Rutger's College, (no, it's not to garner any additional favor [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] ), Well, the letter R came out cool looking so what the heck.)
One of my video editing clients makes her own kids show, from scratch! (I really don't do much but remaster some of her shows so they are more in line with Broadcast specifications.)
She's written and performed over 30 songs for her show and she lovingly puts the kids show together with NO MONEY, Edits the show her self at various cable systems, and cablecasts it on on LA-36. LA-36 is a Los Angeles area wide cable system where all the cable systems in the area show the same program at the same time on LA-36. It's an educational based channel.
I really liked the song she wrote called "The Alphabet Song", (I like a lot of her songs) so I was inspired to try and use it for my next Super-8mm film.
The cool part for me is I was able to really explore my love for time-exposure and come up with something she might be able to use for her show, and it may actually help kids learn the alphabet.
Lets toast to the letter R. (although I also made a really good P) [img]eek.gif[/img]
-
February 20th, 2003, 12:09 AM
#2
HB Forum Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by S8 Booster:
Just when I was to give high remarks to the other amazing 4 images including the Sledge another "R"emarkable image shows up. Wonder what magic stick you use to create them all?
Are they all originated from Super8?
Can you explain a little more on how you created them from "Capture" to WEB?
R</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, it's all done on location, and it's all done in Super-8, in camera. No magic tricks other than the use of time-exposure techniques. Keeping the shutter open for an extend period of time, frame by frame, opens a whole new world of creativity.
Super-8 time-exposure is vastly, vastly, vastly easier, and quicker, than doing time-lapse in either 16mm or 35mm.
The R image is just one Super-8 frame from 3500 frames that I shot for The Alphabet Song. The Alphabet Song was the film that I gamely tried to have premiered at Flicker, but was denied because I was past their submission date.
Well, I spent between 35-50 hours shooting this one cartridge of film. All told, I invested well over 100 hours on this project. (many hours were spent research and developing several aspects of the project)
I had a digital frame counter adapted (part of my research and development) that allowed me to count every individual super-8 frame that I shot. My goal was to shoot 3,500 individual frames, and synchronize the whole film to the alphabet song. I had created a "log book" that told me on what particular frame count to change the letters so that I would stay in synchronization with the music that I would be adding later.
After I finished my one cartridge of Super-8, (take that, [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] those who think film is an environmental drain, one cartridge of Super-8 film lasted me 10 nights of shooting!) I rank transferred the film at Yale Labs. Yale was able to develop and rank transfer the film the same day! (I was still hoping that my film would be shown the following night at the Flicker fest).
When I tried to synchronize my Beta-Cam SP copy of my film in my studio immediately after the transfer session , I was pleased to see that the film held virtual frame accurate sync throughout the whole reel!
In-camera MTV!
After I was informed my film would not be screened the next night, I began thinking that with a little re-edit, I should just start entering it in real film festivals.
So that's what I have started doing.
-
February 20th, 2003, 12:10 AM
#3
HB Forum Moderator
To get the image on the web, I grab a video freeze frame at 306 DPI (4 inch by 6 inch paper), then scan it into my computer, then post on this forum.
-
February 20th, 2003, 05:13 AM
#4
HB Forum Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by MikeyB:
Yeah, Alex, that new shot is really cool! Is that on super 8? the combo of the outlines and Hard "R" plus the shading make it look really 3-d..is this some sort of title opening you made?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not the title opening, it's the whole darn movie! I cycled through the Alphabet 5 or 6 times, and each time I filmed the letters in a new location. Yes, it's all Super-8, Super-8 Ektachrome 125, and it looks 3d because I shot it 3D! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
-
February 20th, 2003, 11:43 PM
#5
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif"> I rank transferred the film at Yale Labs.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
So do you have a video copy you could put on the web? The pics look great but it would help me understand what you're talking about if we could actually see the film in motion.
-
February 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM
#6
HB Forum Moderator
Two issues come to mind. I don't believe I could get a "fast enough" playback that would keep up with the fast changing images, and the song is copyrighted.
However, as I have stated elsewhere, I may send out 10 VHS copies for free to the first 10 people who want to see the video.
-
February 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
#7
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm in the DigitalAge:and the song is copyrighted.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you mean you ripped a CD for the sound (a copyrighted performance of the song) or the actual lyrics themselves? Kinda like the "happy birthday" song being copyrighted? I don't know a lot about this area but I think if you have someone perform the song, or even sing it yourself, you could use it. Kinda like bands doing "covers" of other songs. Also I thought to enter films in festivals you had to have all the copyright clearances? How did you get around that? Or maybe the festivals don't care?
Anyway I'd love to see it! I'd even pay the shipping fee/tape stock/time whatever. If you're shipping copies let me know and I'll PM you my address.
-
February 22nd, 2003, 07:10 PM
#8
HB Forum Moderator
The audio recording is an original. I know the artist. The artist knows I've entered it in film festivals.
The artist has a TV show concept/show their trying to sell. I'd rather not put an original music track out on the internet as I cannot guarantee that it won't be downloaded and used by others.
Because of that, I'm a bit reluctant to put the video on the internet with the music track, and without the music track, it loses too much.
Plus, if the music were mixed in with dialogue and sound effects, than it really can't be taken as an isolated element, but since this is a music only super-8 film...
Some artists want their music stolen because they can stir a lot of attention, especially if they are unknown. But this artist is already using their material for their own local television show.
Lets face it, the internet has helped keep formats such as Super-8 alive, but material that is posted can also be pirated to the point of causing problems.
I'd rather support as many Super-8 film festivals as possible by entering "The Alphabet" (and of course, hoping it's good enough to make it in) in as many Super-8 festivals as possible. Then, posters can support the festivals by attending and they get to see this film, as well as others.
Yes, I'm willing to send out VHS copies and you don't have to worry about paying for the shipping.
In many ways it's cheaper and most efficient to send out a dozen copies via snail mail to 12 forum members. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
February 22nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Wow..I'm most impressed with the sheer volume of time and effort you put into that film...plus the fact that you made it look computer generated, but totally stuck to photo/optical means to get the result...bravo!! My camera is not as exacting as yours, I can shoot one frame at a time, but can't keep track of the frames...a most impressive accomplishment! I wouldn't be able to enter most of my stuff in anything...I use music from cd's all the time, but since it's only for my own enjoyment, no harm done.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks